CAMMILLE SANTOS.
cali girl with new york dreams and libra tendencies.
Lover of travel, coffee, writing, community service, fashion, dessert, humanity, culture, art and live music.

A snapshot of my daily moments and musings that bring me closer to my dreams.
& some visual imagery to soothe my creative side.

get at me: misscammille@gmail.com

Saturday, September 13, 2008

Phenomenal Woman

My jam right now is the remix to Miss Independent by Ne-Yo.. "She Got Her Own". Finally, a song I can respect. For all the ladies who handle their OWN, work hard for what they have, don't depend or expect anything from any man, want but DON'T need && compliment their man with their OWN swaaag... it is the jam for you. I wish all guys would appreciate that type of woman, apparently there are still some dumbfucks out there who think that keeping a female entails removing all her freedoms to do as she pleases and allowing all their OWN insecurities to be the reasons why she cannot be trusted. Shit, appreciate your woman for NOT having time to talk to you all day on the phone because she's busy gettin hers (i.e, WORKING TO BUY HER OWN SHIT). Let her make her own damn decisions to go wherever she pleases with whomever she pleases. I've never been the type to be attached to the hip and I'd be DAMNED if I ever had to ask permission to do something I was old enough to decide for myself. No way jose. But thats just my two cents on that, I should stop now before this turns into a raging blog about how females need to change the game up or atleast realize their role in it. Hahaha! I'll just leave you all with one of my favorite poems by Maya Angelou - Phenomenal Woman.

PHENOMENAL WOMAN
by Maya Angelou

Pretty women wonder where my secret lies
I'm not cute or built to suit a model's fashion size
But when I start to tell them
They think I'm telling lies.
I say
It's in the reach of my arms
The span of my hips
The stride of my steps
The curl of my lips.
I'm a woman
Phenomenally
Phenomenal woman
That's me.

I walk into a room
Just as cool as you please
And to a man
The fellows stand or
Fall down on their knees
Then they swarm around me
A hive of honey bees.
I say
It's the fire in my eyes
And the flash of my teeth
The swing of my waist
And the joy in my feet.
I'm a woman
Phenomenally
Phenomenal woman
That's me.

Men themselves have wondered
What they see in me
They try so much
But they can't touch
My inner mystery.
When I try to show them
They say they still can't see.
I say
It's in the arch of my back
The sun of my smile
The ride of my breasts
The grace of my style.
I'm a woman
Phenomenally
Phenomenal woman
That's me.

Now you understand
Just why my head's not bowed
I don't shout or jump about
Or have to talk real loud
When you see me passing
It ought to make you proud.
I say
It's in the click of my heels
The bend of my hair
The palm of my hand
The need for my care.
'Cause I'm a woman
Phenomenally
Phenomenal woman
That's me


ANYWAY... on a completely different note..

- Thanks to everyone who came out last night for my brothers birthday. Twas another great evening in the presence of good company... must happen again, for my birthday!
- I got The Alchemist in the mail today after ordering it used from Amazon.com. I think that will be my new cheap & easy way to stock up on books... buy them USED. I don't know why I never thought of that before. But anyway, I've read a lot of good things about this book so hopefully I'll be on that same wavelength.
- I still keep Erykah Badu's New Amerykah album on rotation. That album was on mad rotation during some forgettable moments in LA. A personal song to me on that album was "Me"...

I use to pray to God above
But now Im filled with so much luv
But even if the world cant see
Its still me
Will I escape this vanity?
Or will I keep on smoking trees?
But I'll just let it go and be, be, be Me

Erykah Badu - Me - Erykah Badu

No comments: