CAMMILLE SANTOS.
cali girl with new york dreams and libra tendencies.
Lover of travel, coffee, writing, community service, fashion, dessert, humanity, culture, art and live music.

A snapshot of my daily moments and musings that bring me closer to my dreams.
& some visual imagery to soothe my creative side.

get at me: misscammille@gmail.com

Friday, April 23, 2010


"TSS: In Twenty-Ten, it seems the current crop of female MCs are of the sexually-tinged breed. Do you fear being overlooked? Is there no instances when sexuality is actually acceptable.

Rocky Rivera: It’s just a sign of the times. The better technology gets, the more a woman is commodified. I think sexuality is great, we as a society need to be MORE in tune with our sexuality if anything, but sexuality and exploitation are two different things. It’s when people solely rely on that shit that things become wack. Long gone are the days where people could tune into the radio and hear our voices before they saw our asses, I mean, faces. Nowadays, they want to push a product that works every time = sex. I don’t fear being overlooked, because that kind of attention is fleeting anyway.

Every girl knows that the first dude to holla is always the wackest. Why would I make those dudes my fans? What kind of conversation could we hold? But if I want to be a woman and be sexy, and feel desired, and be in control, that shouldn’t take away from my skill as an MC, which, unfortunately, is exactly how shit is set up. Ladies, be however you want to be as an MC, just make sure you doin’ it because you want to, not because you feel like you have to."

(excerpt from the Smoking Sessions interview with Rocky Rivera)

No comments: