CAMMILLE SANTOS.
cali girl with new york dreams and libra tendencies.
Lover of travel, coffee, writing, community service, fashion, dessert, humanity, culture, art and live music.

A snapshot of my daily moments and musings that bring me closer to my dreams.
& some visual imagery to soothe my creative side.

get at me: misscammille@gmail.com

Wednesday, April 7, 2010

Milestone.

On Monday, the sorority that me and 9 friends founded in the Spring of 2008 became officially recognized by UCLA. The fulfillment of this dream of ours is something that has truly convinced me that no matter how difficult, how long and how much struggle you have to endure to achieve something, hard work always pays off. With a charter comes opportunity and this opportunity includes a platform and support to share who we are, what we LIVE by and what we strive for as women.

To some, the greek world and sororities/fraternities are just people "paying" for their friends or just a group of people who are all the same and follow one another. I don't ever try to preach and try to change anyone's views, because those are theirs, but I only hope to serve an example that it is so much more than what movies and stereotypes make it out to be. And Yes, I am a proud sorority sister, if not a former pledgemom to an Alpha Class and President. If I didn't believe in the universal need for WOMEN to have role models, to be challenged to reach their full potential, to be self-confident individuals in all their endeavors, to have GOALS to work for, to open opportunities for one another and so many other things, I wouldn't love it as much as I do.

Having seen our sorority finally get the recognition I truly believe it deserved, I hope it also serves as an example that a sorority isn't just a bunch of girls who are handed letters, are all the same, lack substance, are catty and just party all week long, if anything, we are far from it. And it would be a huge disservice to all the women that actually work their ass off and sacrificed so much for anyone to label us any other way. Contrary to popular belief... women can work together, be grown women, sit and conduct meetings, handle business, throw events for the betterment of even more women, network, give back to the community, and still attend a prestigious university all at the same time.

To me, this is even beyond being in a sorority or the politics that is included in it. To me it's more about being the strong women that we are who are able to build an amazing network of women from the ground up who mentor one another, advise one another, encourage one another, praise one another and above all, love one another because we ARE women.

Sorry I'm just rambling now, but thank you to everyone who truly truly believed in us and use us as an inspiration. I am so humbled and overwhelmed with gratitude from everyone who gave us a chance, who showed us kindness, who recognized our hard work when we were just about ready to give up. To be the President this year, this is one of the greatest gifts I could ask for and it is not my doing, but the efforts of 16 amazing women who continually push me to be a better leader and example.

I strive for longevity and our continued success.
Always, I am thankful.

No comments: