CAMMILLE SANTOS.
cali girl with new york dreams and libra tendencies.
Lover of travel, coffee, writing, community service, fashion, dessert, humanity, culture, art and live music.

A snapshot of my daily moments and musings that bring me closer to my dreams.
& some visual imagery to soothe my creative side.

get at me: misscammille@gmail.com

Monday, September 27, 2010


Since I've been back in LA, I've been working with a non-profit group called Embrace. Started by Sean Sheppard, who is quickly becoming a role model and mentor to me, they work with a lot of college students to get them interested in working in the community and helping the less fortunate. Embrace has various programs including health and wellness, social justice and service learning, irrespective of race, religion or cultural upbringing. It's open arms for everyone and weekly, I've been joining my friends serving food to the homeless community in downtown San Diego.

On my first day there, there was a man who was so gracious and thankful for what we were doing. He looked like he hadn't eaten all day and we told we'd be back tomorrow if he wanted more food. He said, "I'll probably be dead by then." My heart sank and I quickly remembered the immense amount of help that our community needs. Every community needs.

Even moreso when I lived in LA, there was a HUGE community of people that needed help. With my sorority, Chi Delta Theta, my dear friend who was our community service chair made it her mission to educate and expose us to the homeless community in Los Angeles. Places like Skid Row is heavily concentrated with the less fortunate and I praise her always for making this her mission during the time. Instead of simply donating money or doing walks (which are all still awesome), she put us in positions where we ate, shook hands, had conversation and really got to know these individuals. We served food, played games at the Homeless Youth Drop-In Center in Hollywood, gave manicures and massages at a battered women's shelter and served hundreds of breakfast meals at Midnight Mission. It truly taught me to be more compassionate and to continue giving my efforts whenever I could.

Now, I write all of this because it means a lot to me and I think it should mean a lot to everyone. These people are so grateful, respectful and kind whenever I've served them. They have goals and aspirations like the rest of us do, but maybe just a little beaten off their paths without the right support to see them through. Yes they have problems, health problems, drug related problems, all kinds of problems, but they are also humans ... who lack all the simple luxuries that we all take for granted.

So when we're complaining about the little things (I'm guilty of this too), I always try to remember how blessed we are. If you ever get the chance to serve other people, try it, at least once, and allow it to open up your eyes and your heart to the truth about our world. A lot of us have preconceived notions and prejudices against homeless people, and if people just took the time out more to educate themselves, be more compassionate and have a little more empathy... someone would truly appreciate your service, it could even save their life.

1 hour minimum a week, just to forget about yourself for once, and give that hour to someone else. It really isn't all that much. In the time you probably spent going through blogs and reaching mine, an hour has passed. On top of that, it makes your soul rich with all the things that we all should be striving for. When $$$, family, and life problems are all stacked up against you, humility and selflessness are some of the qualities I value most in people.

“If you want others to be happy, practice compassion. If you want to be happy, practice compassion.” -Dalai Lama

No comments: