CAMMILLE SANTOS.
cali girl with new york dreams and libra tendencies.
Lover of travel, coffee, writing, community service, fashion, dessert, humanity, culture, art and live music.

A snapshot of my daily moments and musings that bring me closer to my dreams.
& some visual imagery to soothe my creative side.

get at me: misscammille@gmail.com

Wednesday, August 25, 2010

Open Letter from Drake to Aaliyah

Dear Dana,

I’ve never lost a parent, a friend, or a lover but I will never forget this day for the rest of my life. I remember getting the news that you had passed and it connected with my heart like a clean shot from Muhammad Ali. I was crushed. Not only was I one of your biggest fans but I was truly in love with you. I loved the way you carried yourself, the way you dressed, the confidence with which you addressed passion and relationships in your music. I said to myself that even if we never met, I wanted a woman in my life just like you. I am pained that we will never get to connect now that music ended up being my career path. But you should know, we all listen to you everyday and we remain inspired and moved by all that you’ve given the world. I hope I make the right life choices so I can end up in heaven where I know you rest your head. I’ll continue to make music in your honor until the day we finally meet. Dinner’s on me!

Love you always and forever,
Drake
Damn, I feel like all of us Aaliyah fans truly were touched by her even if we didn't know her. She just had this way about her that was so dope, so genuine and so humble. I remember watching her episode of "The Diary of.." on MTV and wanting to be just like her. She looked like that homegirl that every dude respected and every girl wanted to know. She was always that top shelf chick that never did anything too extra to get attention. She always did her and stayed true to herself even if it meant throwin in a little tomboy in the mix and just straight dancin with her baggy jeans and kicks. I loved that. She's truly been one of the main (media) influences in my life and an artist whom I truly truly respect. She's the female I wish every teenage girl nowadays had the blessing of trying to emulate. She's the girl that I wish every R&B dude & emcee personified as their ideal... (so we can get rid of all the attention seekin' one hit wonders and reality show jumpoffs!) R&B has never been the same without her and even if some come close, Aaliyah will always remain in a league all her own.  Rest in Power Aaliyah, we miss you.

No comments: